Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Is Life Brewing at the Bottom of Your Favorite Cereal Bowl?

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." -Julia Child on nouvelle cuisine

A few warm summers ago, perhaps 20 or 25 to be inexact, my favorite breakfast cereal manufacturers indirectly gave me that jolting wake up call to the fact that I needed to notice and appreciate more the importance of reading any fine print that they may have painstakingly and boldly typed on the outside of my morning cereal box for my own information and overall protection.

At that time in my career path I did heavy warehouse work and usually teamed up two of my favorite breakfast cereals to provide me with all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients I might require to do my job well and control my hunger pangs. The two cereals complemented one another well and did the job until coffee break.

A smiling, older gentleman (the Quaker cereal man) was colorfully depicted on the front of my oatmeal box. He was dressed in a navy blue hat, white powdered wig and welcoming smile. I suppose this gentleman has graced many a breakfast table for a long, long time.

My favorite flavor at that time was maple and brown sugar. It provided the flavor, sweetness and all around bulk content my tummy needed to face the work day.... at least until coffee break. Add a splash of milk, a few slices of banana and two slices of toast and coffee and you have started your work day in a healthful manner.

The contents listed on the side of the box described it as being whole grain rolled oats. The cholesterol count and calorie count suited many a weight watcher's stringent dietary requirements. A list of additives and other ingredients were also printed on the side of the box.

My second cereal of choice was wheat germ. It was packaged in a vacuum sealed jar and warned a person to keep refrigerated after opening. The cereal had a tasty, toasted flavor and it contained vitamin E - one we all needed every day.

One extremely warm summer day I had the misfortune of waking up late for work. My usual breakfast ritual would be disrupted I thought as I quickly drank my orange juice and placed the oat meal and wheat germ in my cereal bowl.

I added one half cup of water to the mix and microwaved it in the oven for the recommended three minute interval. After doing this I showered and shaved and left for work. I totally forgot about the cereal brewing in the microwave.

The next day, at breakfast time I opened the microwave oven's door and discovered hundreds of little black flies flying, flitting and feeding on the dried oatmeal and using the dried out cereal's remains as a makeshift landing strip.

I quickly closed the oven's steel door and then realized the importance of reading storage instructions for all the merchandise a person buys. The oatmeal and the wheat germ worked together with the warmer temperature to create this micro metropolis of insects, cereal and larva eggs.

That incident did not dissuade me from enjoying my early morning cereal. It did however help me appreciate the fact that reading printed instructions can only save you a truckload of headaches in the long run.

Needless to say I threw out the oven but still enjoy eating my double mixed breakfast cereal.

Friends Link : Knife Store. LOWER Prices in The Same Item Capresso Kettle Custom Fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment